Thursday 8 March 2012

Horse tale

Sunny, 12º, light SW.

A walk along the Thames from Wallingford to Cholsey marsh produced very little, 3 pairs of Great-crested Grebe, a Little Grebe, Kingfisher, Tufted Duck, 4 Mute Swans and 2 Cormorants were the only birds of note.

In addition, I had 3 Sparrowhawk sightings and a fair number of Buzzard and Red Kite in the air today!

A visit to Lollingdon Hill was equally quiet; a small flock of Fieldfare and Redwing, but the peace was short lived as I saw a rider less horse galloping towards me. Not having any experience of horses I was trying to remember what my girlfriend had told me, she is an experienced rider. As it closed on me, I managed to slow it down by talking and holding a hand out and as it got near, I managed to grab the reins and get it to stop. I then calmed her down and started to walk her back along the path, as we got to the end of the path the rider appeared. The horse had been spooked by some sheep, threw her rider and galloped off. A happy ending!
                                    Coot

                                          Mute Swans

No comments:

Post a Comment