Monday 8 September 2014

Migrants a Whooper and a Cuckoo

During the past week TW has been visiting Lollingdon hill and has noted Redstart still present plus Wheatears and Whinchats passing through. 

Lots of common migrants also seen on the downs.

I had an email in the week referring to a bird heard “whooping” around the centre of the village. As I was not around I got word to a couple of local birders to check it out and as I have not heard anything I assume it did not come to anything.

Email; “I am getting reports of an unusual bird call in the village in the last three days. The latest report was from Little Lane yesterday - when an unusual whooping sound was heard. This is similar to the report of Tuesday when a similar sound was heard behind The Forty and close to the Rec”.


Meanwhile elsewhere in Cholsey
Juv Cuckoo with a Fox Moth caterpillar or a Fox moth caterpillar with a juv Cuckoo, Cholsey. (Courtesy Roger Wyatt).


2 comments:

  1. Re the 'whooping', there has been Canada geese calling at night in the last few days, plus very noisy young Tawnies, and also a Muntjac barking. I'd guess it might be the Tawnies - they've been making some odd noises.
    Hobbies seen daily in the past fortnight, chasing Swallows over the village, mostly between the Red Lion and the church. RB

    ReplyDelete