Wednesday 16 February 2011

34 Years ago! Thames, Winterbrook. 20th Nov 1977.

I came across this whilst reviewing some old notes and thought it could do with an airing.
Robin. vs. Kestrel.
An extract taken from my field notes on the above date.
On returning along the Thames bank from Bow Bridge I noticed a bird swooping down to the river. On viewing the bird through binoculars I identified it as a Kestrel and first thought it was after a dead fish on the surface. Which would be unusual as it is! As I got closer I realised it was a small bird on its back, wings spread floating on the surface. I watched the Kestrel swoop, on what I could now see as a Robin, several times and each time the Robin raised its legs in a presumed defiant or somewhat protective gesture. I was about 25m now from the scene and the Robin then suddenly left the water in a flurry of wings but suddenly dropped back in as the Kestrel swooped again. These actions were repeated another 3 times before the Kestrel appeared to give up and flew to a nearby tree, where it sat and watched the Robin. After a short time the Kestrel decided to abandon its potential prey and flew off downstream. At that point the Robin again took off from the river surface and flew to a small bush on the bank where it shook itself and then flew off in to another bush apparently no worse off for its experience.
That’s where I left it. I assumed the Robin was forced in to the river by the Kestrel? Or took deliberate evasive action to avoid capture?
The Kestrel denied a meal and the Robin apparently no worse off for a bath!

2 comments:

  1. Really interesting observation. Didn't Lew and Martin see something like this out in China, with a Hobby I think, having a go at a Stonechat or something similar ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats right Pete, it was over the sea with several Hobby and the Stonechat didnt make it.

    ReplyDelete