Tuesday 2 April 2019

A few migrants

Cloudy at first then rain, 7°, light WNW.

An interesting morning out there today.

A few things of note on the walk out to Lollingdon, several Chiffchaff, a few Yellowhammer, 3 Blackcap and a couple of Song Thrush in song and the first Willow Warbler of the year near Little Lollingdon.

On arrival I started scanning one of the large meadows out at Lollingdon when the rain started coming down rather heavy. I moved under a tree to get cover from the worst of the rain and shortly after I heard a Common Whitethroat give a few brief snatches of song from the other side of the hedge. I went round to the other side just in time to see it fly further down the hedgerow towards Amwell Spring. As I followed it along the hedge I then heard a Sedge Warbler start singing from the ditch nearby. I didn’t manage to locate the Sedge Warbler.

It led me to wonder whether the sudden onset of heavy rain had grounded the migrants passing overhead?

Just to reinforce that, a flock of Thrushes arrived in the same field, 60+ Fieldfare, 10+ Redwing and c6 Song Thrush.

Little on the Hill apart from a singing Corn Bunting and a couple of Yellowhammer.

The Little Owl seen again sheltering in the hollow of a broken bough.

No photos from me today as the camera didn’t come out to play due to the rain!

Mammals: Brown Hare.

A few photos from Alan Dawson from Monday.

Peacock
 Brimstone
Speckled Wood

No comments:

Post a Comment