Monday 1 July 2024

What's that coming over the Hill

A cloudy day, 18°, light WSW.

Arrived on Lollingdon hill around 11:30 and started to scan around. Looked pretty quiet apart from a couple of Corn Bunting in song, plus a Common Whitethroat and a couple of Yellowhammer and Chiffchaff calling.

Just before midday I noted several Swift passing over and drifting south west, shortly followed by another 50.

Over the next hour I counted just over 400 Swift over the hill area and they were still passing over when I left.

When I got off the hill I looked back and Swift were still passing through. I estimate in the region of 450-500 Swift passed in that hour and 30 minutes.

Other species noted: Blackcap, Lesser Whitethroat, Sedge Warbler, Yellow Wagtail, Swallow, House Martin etc.

Mammals: Brown Hare.

Dragonflies: Banded and Beautiful Demoiselle and an unidentified Hawker.

Butterflies: Large White, Small White, Marbled White, Speckled Wood, Ringlet and Meadow Brown.

Wren's Nest courtesy Bill Nicholls

Speckled Wood

No comments:

Post a Comment