Tuesday 11 September 2018

Flycatchers

Mainly cloudy with the occasional sunny spell, 21°, breezy SW.

The hill was being blasted by a breezy south west wind today so I didn’t expect to find much. Just about the only birds was a single Mistle Thrush and 2 Kestrel.

c250 House Martin over the hill in 1.5 hours, including a flock of around 60 birds that were harried briefly by a Hobby. Unusually no Swallows just exclusively House Martins.

Down around the cow field was a different story and a nice surprise of a Pied Flycatcher.

I had been watching a few warblers when I noticed a Spotted Flycatcher low on one of the Oak trees in the cow field. Higher up in the tree I kept catching glimpses of another bird fly catching and very active. It took about 30 minutes before I got a good view and realised it was a Pied Flycatcher. I watched it for about 30 seconds before it flew out of sight. I then caught sight of it about 5 minutes later in the back of one of the Oaks only to disappear again. The Pied Fly tended to stay in the Oak canopy whereas the Spot Flys were fly catching from exposed perches.

Impossible to get a photo as I wanted to ID it first. I then phoned Tony W and Alan D who both arrived in around 30 minutes but unfortunately it was not seen again.

On what I saw I think the bird was a 1st winter!

Whilst watching the Flycatcher there were also other birds in the vicinity.

At least 3 Spotted Flycatcher (maybe more), 3 Lesser Whitethroat, 2 Blackcap, 1 Common Whitethroat, 2-3 Willow Warbler and 10+ Chiffchaff.

Reptiles: 5 Common Lizard.

Dragonflies: 1 Southern Hawker and 6 Common Darter.

Butterflies: Large White, Small White, 1 Small Copper and 5 Speckled Wood.

Spotted Flycatcher
Lesser Whitethroat
Spotted Flycatcher
 Common Lizard (above & below)

Small Copper

No comments:

Post a Comment