Monday 10 September 2018

Toadflax Brocade & Boris the Spider


A communication from Cholsey's foremost moth expert.

A first for Cholsey.

"At the weekend I caught a moth that I had never seen before.
The Toadflax Brocade is a moth until recently as only been recorded in Britain along the south coast. Therefore a suspected immigrant.
The county recorder has never seen one and the foremost expert in Berkshire has never seen one in Britain.
Even more amazing is that by pure chance I have discovered that a woman with the surname Charley also caught one at the weekend, and she apparently lives in Cholsey!"


Toadflax Brocade - A resident species colonizing Englands south-east and central southern coasts, first found around 1950 and it frequents mainly shingle beaches. (courtesy Tony Raynor)
Boris the Spider. Not ID'd yet (probably female). (courtesy Loren)

1 comment:

  1. Every year for several years now I find the larvae of Toadflax Brocade in my garden on the Purple Toadflax but have yet to see the moth itself. I'm in Middx, outer London.

    ReplyDelete