Friday 10 November 2017

THE BIG Finch........at last!

Sunny periods with scattered cloud, 10°, breezy NW.

Has to be a Finch day today with a single Hawfinch (at last). Heard initially then seen flying from trees near the long tunnel by the Bullshole to the entrance track by West End. Spent around 30 minutes searching the trees in the area but no luck but a few Redwing present.

It's size and the white in the wing and tail were quite obvious as it flew by.

It is the UK's largest finch and has a powerful beak, strong enough to crack a Cherry stone open exerting a force of 150 pounds per square inch.

A Brambling and at least 2 Siskin flyovers out at Lollingdon along with 30+ Chaffinch.

The flock of around 80 Linnet still present on the hill and a rough total of 30 Goldfinch and 8 Greenfinch noted and 2 Bullfinch near the paddocks.

The usual Fieldfare and Redwing around and a couple of Pied Wagtail around the paddocks.

As far as I am aware this is the first record of Hawfinch in Cholsey since the early 1960’s, when one was trapped and ringed by Bill Campbell in his garden!

(See Mick Cunningham’s excellent article on this autumns Hawfinch invasion on the Oxon Birding Blog, Hawfinch invasion Scroll down the October highlights to the article).

Dragonflies: a single Common Darter still on the wing.

Butterflies: 2 Red Admiral.






1 comment:

  1. Hey I am so delighted I found your website, I really found you by mistake,
    while I was browsing on Bing for something else, Anyways
    I am here now and would just like to say thank you for a
    remarkable post and a all round entertaining blog (I also
    love the theme/design), I don't have time to browse
    it all at the minute but I have bookmarked it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a great deal more,
    Please do keep up the great job.

    ReplyDelete