Thursday 4 January 2018

A Message from Canada

"Hi Paul,

I visit your blog with some regularity. I was a student of Mr. Campbell’s. Our house was 9 Church Road, about 200 feet from Mr. Campbell’s back yard, where so many of your photos are taken.

We have been having very cold weather here (Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada), dipping almost to -30C at night over Christmas and the New Year. So I was waiting by my front window for a plumber to arrive (some problems with my well and water supply – who would have thought??). As I waited, I saw a Downy Woodpecker on my bird feeder, and then became aware of the Pileated Woodpecker some 70 feet farther back knocking a hole in the base of a spruce tree. Grabbed the camera and got photos of them both, and then while still waiting for the plumber, the Hairy Woodpecker also showed up. All in the space of about 10 minutes.

Anyway, this is just a little give-back for the pleasure you give so many of us with your blog. It reminds me of “home” and the many hours I spent rambling as a kid, over most of your favorite birding locations.

By the way, there was great excitement here in New Brunswick just before Christmas when a Mistle Thrush showed up in Miramichi. A first ever record for this province (perhaps for Canada), and astonishing when you think it had to cross the Atlantic. I hate to think how the poor little thing is managing in this cold.

Very best to you, and please keep shooting and posting pictures!"





Thanks Malcolm and a Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment